Saturday, October 22, 2011

I Won't be Part of Your System

Over the course of weeks... Even months, I have become increasingly frustrated with my build. I've been at a standstill. Either there is no room in the shop for us on build night... Or the symptoms of motherhood has overwhelmed me (exhaustion, over extension, packed schedules and financial ruin). More frustrating than the afore mentioned, is the lack of availability of parts and accessories available for my generation of Supra.
Shopping for body kits has proved impossible. There is a very small selection of kits available for the Mark III- no wide bodies outside of Japan. My choices appear to be one of two evils: totally tacky or basically boring. If I like the front end of one set up, the rear looks like a fat chick in a mini skirt. If I like the rear, the front looks OEM modest. Mix and match you say? Can't. The side skirts won't line up.
I refuse to comply with society's taste in aftermarket kits. What is it gonna take to make my own? I get overwhelmed thinking about it.
My opinions on available options in Carbon Fiber hoods are identical to above. OEM or ugly. Those are my choices. Aftermarket for the MK3 features gills. Like a shark. Not the image I am trying to impress. To make matters more complicated, I want sleek head lights; which I realize I will have to fab myself as that too doesn't appear available in the marketplace. But all hoods are cut to accommodate the factory set up.
Round and round I go, figuratively spinning my bald tires on my factory wheels realizing this is why people build their Honda- parts are cheap and plentiful.
In my desire to hear good news I acted as if I had my ducks in a row and asked our best friend forever, Ricky Bobby, to swing by build night for a paint consult.
"What you want, I'm not sure its possible," He told me. Not the good news I was looking for. My imagination betrays me at every turn.
Ricky Bobby promised to spray out some samples for me and assured me that if anyone could do it, it would be him, "I'm the best there is, plain and simple..." You know the story.
I threw in the build night towel and sulked home. I drew myself a bath and sunk in to my eyeballs. I sighed loudly mimicking a motor boat and told myself Lucy and I would overcome this. She will rise like a phoenix. No more obstacles.
Wrong again.

1 comment:

  1. Well, typical obstacles for a mom. So, run the boys over, design your own line of products, and keep going. Lucy is worth it!

    ReplyDelete