Friday, October 14, 2011

Open Build Night

On Friday, August 19th, after our first complete week of business in the new location, we hosted our first open build night.
Our friends came- and brought friends- with their toys to work on. Liability waivers were signed in blood by all participants and locked in a vault. 
By happenstance, we had our sister and brother-in-law's Eddie Bauer Explorer in the shop for service so we laid down the rear seats and set up our kids in the back with sleeping bags, popcorn, sippy cups and Lilo & Stitch on the DVD screen.
With the kids occupied, I was ready to roll up my sleeves and pull the head off my Supra.
With Oliver acting as the roving foreman, I got started with very little direction. He was busy instructing people how to use the lift, helping with a brake job on a lifted Toyota, diagnosing a Scion tC, and occasionally barking my direction to tell me what next needed removed. It was slow going. 

When our friend, Drew, arrived on the scene, I had a little more consistency in direction. Course, arguments regarding whether or not Lucy's hood should be removed for easier accessibility were nearly debilitating. Oliver thought there was no reason to take it off; we would have to roll it outside eventually and he didn't want visibly "torn apart" cars residing in front of his building. Drew takes no offense to "torn apart" cars, and made it clear he felt only an idiot would continue to work around that obstacle. As idiots we all marched forward- the hood in place. 
At midnight the air compressor kicked on and woke our sleeping newborn swaddled in the front office. By the time I finished feeding her, my eye lids were heavy and Drew had decided to leave in search of a watering hole. 
Bummed that I could not muster the horsepower to finish pulling the head off the Supra, I decided to call it a night.

1 comment:

  1. Obstacles...sigh...a common occurrence for a mom. Keep it up!

    ReplyDelete