Friday, October 14, 2011

Pulling the Head off the Supra

On August 26th, I found myself at build night again. Baby Vera was again swaddled in the front office- this time with Mickey Mouse Clubhouse on to drown out any shop noise. I gloved up and committed to pulling this head.

Drew was back to help with only minimal mention of my hood still being in the way. Oliver was less occupied with other Build Night Participants and was more available to guide me. I had to slap the boys' hands away many times to remind them this was my project. I super duper luper (as my 4 year old, Lola, would say) appreciate their wisdom and guidance- but I want this car to be mine. When she's done, I want to know I did it.
As I dug in, I found evidence of others having been there before me:



Unacceptable.
With the assistance of caffeine and air tools, this job went much quicker than last week!
Once all the bolts, hoses and wires were removed and unplugged, the head was ready for lift off.
Once the head was removed, it was immediately evident what caused catastrophic engine failure. Pistons on cylinders 2 and 3 were warped/melted/damaged (I'll let you look for yourself) from detonation, probably from a previous rebuild done poorly.



Good Piston:




Bad Piston:





Wicked Bad Piston:

So, that answered the question of "Why no compression?" Not that I really cared. I didn't want to build the 7M anyhow. But, Oliver needed to satisfy his curiosity, and so we have.

No comments:

Post a Comment